Monday, May 3, 2010

Elite Beat Agent

One reason why I started this project was to see whether my Pokémastery has improved any since I started playing this franchise over a decade ago. So far, I'm doing alright, but haven't been noticing any visible improvements in my game now that I'm an adult. In fact, in many cases, I'm having a harder time of it. It was pretty disheartening, when I thought about it.

But never mind that. I just got my vindication at about 2 a.m. this morning, when I beat the Elite Four. On my first try.



I know, I know. So what? Well, I'll tell you what.

So for every game since the original Pokémons Blue and Red, the adventure would culminate with your character challenging the Elite Four, a collection of the toughest Pokétrainers in the region. If you manage to do that, you become the new Champion, and essentially beat the game. Sounds easy, sure, except:

1. You have to beat each one consecutively, Gauntlet-style.
2. They all use pretty high-level Pokémon, usually higher than most of yours when you first arrive to challenge them.
3. For some reason, there are five members of the Elite Four.

What this basically means, or at least meant for me as a child, is that you generally have to fight them and fail a few times, levelling up your Pokémon in the meantime, before you're able to successfully defeat them. But not this time.

This time, even though I went in with generally shitty Pokémon (no offence guys, but only two of you were above level 40, the rest levelled 25-33), I managed to knock the boots with Will, Koga, Bruno, Karen, and Lance, and emerge victorious. On my first try.

(Okay I just looked up the term “Knock the Boots” to make sure I was using it correctly, and apparently it means “have sexual intercourse [with]”. So for the record, I did not use that term correctly. Or did I?)



So thank you to Morpheus, Moloch, Electro, Ulysses, Tokek, and ChickenBoo. You guys did great. Welcome to the Hall of Fame.

So now that I've beaten the Elite Four, does that mean I'm done the game? Well no, not even close. HeartGold and SoulSilver, like its predecessors, are unique in that after you beat the Elite Four Plus One, a path opens to a whole new region, Kanto (which is actually the setting of the original games). This means I'm practically halfway through the storyline. It's also good, though, since a whole slew of Pokémon become available to me. On my Pokéwalker alone, new paths are being opened up once I get my National Pokédex.

Speaking of Pokédex, let's talk about my progress.

Since my last Pokédex report, I've mentioned catching my Lugia, Ulysses, but there have been quite a few other additions as well. I'm also the owner of a level 23 male Tangela (Mr. Tickle), and level 22 male Delibird (Dedede), and a level 21 female Swinub (Alice).

I also returned to the Safari zone, where I caught a level 15 male Sandshrew named Muad'Dib (I am currently reading Dune for the first time ever). On my Pokéwalker, I've caught a Krabby, Psyduck, and a Spearow. The Spearow was the last Pokémon I could catch on my Pokéwalker with the amount of routes available to me, but now that I'm about to get a National Pokédex, more routes (and more Pokémon!) should be forthcoming.

In terms of evolution, Maraxus evolved into a Machoke while traveling through victory road, and Morpheus evolved into a Hypno while fighting the Elite Four. Electro, bless that little tyke, evolved into an Electabuzz. I would love to evolve him further into an Electivire, but need and Electirizer to do so, which from what I understand will take a while to find. Oh well.



Right now I've added Terra to my lineup. When she evolves into a Graveler I'll have the four original Trade Evolutions, and will evolve them all accordingly.

Day 23 Pokédex count: Seen 184, caught 86
Professor Oak says: Do you have a Fishing Rod? There are some Pokémon that can only be found by fishing!

Yes I have a fucking Fishing Rod, Professor!

4 comments:

  1. lkejsrlkjer

    I poké'd all over my keyboard after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Petite Torso”

    I am now officially following your Pokexploits. I just read all the entries and that was some funny shit. You are a wizard with the English language my friend and if there were any doubts, you are now officially funnier than Dane Cook…I believe the Idiom goes like this he couldn’t hold a candle…or is it he couldn’t carry your jockstrap? You get the gist of it…Dane Cook ( http://www.fafarazzi.com/gossip/257280/Two-Boston-DJs-name-Dane-Cook-Unfunniest-Comedian ) is an inferior product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gotta say (and I have been for the last little bit) that I just don't agree with you on Dane Cook.

    In Pokémon terms, I'd say that Dane is at the stage 2 evolution of comedy. A very funny storyteller who maybe relies too much on referencing childhood movies and cartoons. Maybe the problem is that he's treated like a Stage 3 evolution comedian, along the lines of Mitch Hedberg or Louis CK, and therefore gets a lot of resentment.

    But what I'm saying is, at least he's not a baby evolution comedian. You know, like Carlos Mencia or, I dunno, Jim Belushi.

    So basically it breaks down like this: Carlos Mencia evolves into Dane Cook, who evolves into Louis CK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Might I perhaps claim credit for turning you to the Dune series, friend Aaron? :D

    Also, I have sadly returned to Pokemon as an adult, though my goals are not nearly so lofty as yours. Give me a shout if there's any pokemon you'd like me to help with the catching (or unlocking) of. I have both the cover-mon of Pearl and Diamond...

    -Chris R.

    ReplyDelete