Monday, April 12, 2010

Days One and Two + Some Ground Rules

So two days ago I made a vow to myself to catch all 493 Pokémon. I felt that this could be done, but I wanted to set up some rules for myself before I proceeded:

1. The Pokémon I obtain must be obtained without the use of hacks or cheats, which means no unlicensed products such as Action Replay, or Game Genie or whatever the kids are using these days. If I'm going to catch 'em all, I'm going to do it fair and, above all, square.

2. My quest to catch 'em all begins now, which means that any Pokémon I own from previous games are NOT fair game. If I want to use my Pokémon Ruby or Pearl games to catch more Pokémon, I need to restart my game and start from scratch. Now, I'm going to absolutely need to use these games in my quest, which means I'm going to be erasing quite a bit of hours, but considering I never caught any ultra-rare shiny Pokémon or event Pokémon, I can live with the loss. I may even trade a few of my favourites to my sister or someone for safekeeping until I can bring them into my game under good conscience.

3. I said catch 'em all, not just catch some, which means that I have to catch all 26 Unown variations. This shouldn't be too hard, since they're all found in my game. Now, this doesn't extend to catching all the different type of Spindas, since from what I understand there's a near infinite variation of them. I'm not sure if there's any other Pokémon who exhibit variations like that, but if there are let me know.



But most importantly...

4. This may be a game, but it's also Serious Business. Sure, I'm doing this for fun, but if I'm ONLY doing this for fun, I'm not going to be able to last when it starts getting tricky. I need to think of this as a job (hopefully a job I love) which means that even if I can't stand the sight of my DS, I need to devote at least one hour to this game a day. This is completely negotiable on days where I have other more important things to do and simply can't fit in the time, but not being in the mood is not an excuse.

I'm sure I'll have to come up with more rules as I progress, but for now those are the ones I'm sticking to.

DAY ONE


As for my progress, Day One was pretty standard. My starting Pokémon was a Totodile, even though I had been planning on going Cyndaquil. I'm not sure exactly what changed my mind, but I'm happy with my choice. I named him Tokek.

I played for about an hour, doing that “walk back and forth while people tell you how great Pokémon are” stuff, stopping after my rival, Adolph, broke into Professor Elm's lab and stole his Chikorita. I was then given some Pokéballs, which means that I'm on my way towards catching them all.



DAY TWO


That night I caught a level 3 female Hoothoot, whom I uncreatively named Hedwig, and a level 3 female Rattatta named Amy (bonus points if you know the reference). Obviously I'm not super excited about these acquisitions. Anyone can catch these Pokémon, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to see a whole lot more of these before I'm through. But still, a catch is a catch.

I finished at like quarter to three in the morning, a cool three Pokémon under my belt, having arrived at Violet City. Look out, world.

4 comments:

  1. Buffy!

    The Pokemon theme song is stuck in my head.

    Good luck, soldier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume you also mean all Deoxys forms, Giratina's origin form, Shaymin's sky form etc. etc.,....

    But does this also mean notch-eared Pichu, Pikachu-Colored Pichu, and pokemon like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. W-what? I don't know what half of those are.

    Okay, I'm going to say no, for the same reason I'm not going to try to catch male and female forms of each pokémon. The more I see and add to the Pokédex, fine. But I guess I gotta do this one step at a time. So as of now, catch all 493, plus Unown, shiny Pokémon not necessary but a bonus.

    ReplyDelete